Owning a caravan allows you the freedom to escape and pursue an adventure whenever you want. While getting away is relaxing and enjoyable, your caravan may not be able to offer you sufficient power – this is where a solar power system comes in! Getting a solar panel system for your caravan is one of the best investments you can make.
While the installation is not cheap, solar panels offer numerous benefits and can even provide your caravan hot water! Solar energy is a green and renewable energy source, meaning you will not have to worry about electricity when you’re on the road for extended periods of time.
Do you plan to install solar panels on your caravan? Our guide will help you choose the right solar panel for your caravan. Please keep reading below:
What Are Caravan Solar Panels?
There are various types of solar panels. Caravan solar panels are solar panel systems that are typically connected to the roof of your caravan. These panels convert sunlight into direct current or DC electricity. Solar batteries then store the electricity so it is available for use whenever you need electricity. An inverter will then convert the DC power into AC electricity which you can use via your caravan power points.
Caravan solar panels come either as portable or mounted solar panels, so this gives you the option to decide what is most convenient for you.
Common Types Of Caravan Solar Panels
There are 3 different types of solar panels available that come in various sizes. The common types include:
- Glass solar panels: These panels have been around for an extended period and are best suited for commercial and household installations. Glass solar panels have a rigid frame and are mounted on the roof. Roof-mounted glass panels are more prone to damage.
- Mobile solar panels: Some individuals choose mobile solar panels as they are semi-flexible, lightweight, and offer different advantages. These panels are more expensive and cost up to four times more than other solar panels. These panels do not require mounting brackets as you can use silicone to apply them directly to a curved roof.
- Folding solar panels: These solar panels are a popular choice among caravan owners. They are easy to store in your caravan, and you can easily pick up and move them around camp to a position with more sunlight. Their flexibility allows you to maximise the energy they absorb from the sun.
Benefits Of Using Caravan Solar Panels
The benefits of using caravan solar panels include:
- Silence: Unlike generators, solar panels are not noisy and do not produce exhaust fumes. They are a clean energy source, silent, and can add resale value to your caravan.
- Low maintenance: All you have to do is keep your solar panels clean. Not much can really go wrong with them as they have no moving parts.
- Durable: Solar panels are pretty durable and can last up to 25 years.
- Long battery life: A fully charged battery prolongs the life of your solar panel, so always ensure you charge the batteries.
- Reliable: Solar panels generate power from the sun, so they are a reliable source of electricity and can work anywhere.
- Freedom: You do not have to worry about not having sufficient generator fuel or being tied to a camp with electricity. You have the freedom to travel anywhere as the sun is always available, except at night of course.
- Free electricity: When you install solar panels, all the power generated is free.
How To Choose Solar Panels For Your Caravan
Always do your due diligence before purchasing solar panels for your caravan. It would be best if you prioritised value for money when shopping for a solar panel for your caravan. Consider getting a regulator and charge controller if you want a large panel. Here is how to choose a solar panel for your caravan:
- Solar power rating: Different panels have different ratings. Your energy consumption will help you determine the right panel for your caravan.
- Power usage: Consider how much power all your appliances use in a day as it helps you determine the right solar panel for your caravan. Note that the battery capacity (amp hours) equals the energy (watt-hour), so you need to get a panel with a battery capacity that can sustain your energy consumption.
- The power needed through the seasons: Determine how much power you need during the different seasons to get the right solar panel system. For example, you will use the aircon a lot more during summer and the heating a lot more during the cooler months.
Solar panels are ideal for providing power to your low-draw devices when your caravan is in storage or keeping your leisure battery topped up during summer. They are a clean energy source and allow you the freedom to travel without worrying about running out of electricity.
Check Out High-Quality Retreat Caravans In NZ!
Caravans allow you the freedom to be on the move while still offering you that home away from home feeling. At Retreat Caravans in NZ, we have state-of-the-art luxurious caravans that are perfect for your next getaway.
If you are looking for caravans for sale in New Zealand, Retreat Caravans has now partnered with Inside Out RV. So if you are looking for the most innovative, reliable, state of the art caravans backed up by friendly service and a reliable dealership, then get in touch with Inside Out RV today!